Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Afterlife Part 2



I walked through the door into a cool, crisp meadow in the midst of a winter thaw.  Having never learned fancy tricks like being able to tell the time of day by the location of the sun (pending this was actually my sun), all I knew was that it was day.  There was movement to my right and I turned to see a small canid form trotting toward me, but it looked a little…off.  As it drew nearer I realized it was a jackal wearing the skin of a fox.  Quickly, I tried to think of what you’re supposed to do when you meet with a jackal.  Wave your hands in the air and yell?  No, that was bears.  The Egyptians would suggest I offer up some beer, meat, and myrrh.  Perhaps being made of meat would help?  I could spare a couple of fingers if it meant reaching my husbands.
The jackal grew nearer and I could see that it was black and either female or without sex.  I’m pretty sure Anubis was all male, but after a few thousand years, who could really be sure?  The jackal stopped in front of me and sat.  As it looked up at me, I thought I saw its eyes narrow with exasperation.  When it spoke, I was certain it had.
“I see they let you stay human,” came the voice of my sister, the oldest of the eight children my parents bore.  At 21 years my senior, she had died quite a few years before I had.
“Is that good or bad?”
She shrugged.  “Depends.  Having hands can be useful.  So can a strong sense of smell.”
I nodded then smiled a little.  “So are you a jackal bitch because that’s your true nature or because you didn’t draw so great from the hat?”
“I can very easily leave you here to fend for yourself.  I chose to come here to help you.  Not everyone did.”
“I’d say guilt is a hell of a motivator, but sociopaths can’t really feel guilt, can they?”
“I knew this was a bad idea.”
She turned and started to trot off.  I narrowed my eyes at her.
“Oh, I’m sorry, am I treating you the same way you treat others?  Fairness was never in your wheelhouse, was it?”
She growled.
I smiled.
“Wait up.”
She growled again but stopped moving.  I fell in beside her and she resumed walking again.
“So what killed you?” she asked.
“I’m sure a mix of heartbreak after Ezo died and just being old.”
“Oz dead too?”
I nodded.  “He died a few years ago.  Heart attack.”
“I always figured Ezo would die from that.  Though Oz was always a little high strung.  What killed Ezo?”
“Cancer,” I said with a frown.  “He’d had it for a while, but stuck it out through sheer force of will until he just couldn’t do it anymore.  I managed for a couple of years after that, but it was just too much.  I’d spent too much of my life with him, with them.  I was ready to just be done with it.”
“What about your kids?”
I didn’t much care for her tone. 
“My kids are fine.  They know I love them.  They also know they’re here—there—wherever—because of the love I had with their fathers.  After all, I didn’t choose a physically abusive alcoholic to mate with.”
“You don’t have to be mean.”
“Neither do you.”
She trotted out of the meadow into a lightly wooded forest and I followed after her.  I realized that if she decided to run off, she could probably outrun me with no problem.  I also knew she wouldn’t do that.  My sister was a lot of things and I knew full well she would complain about it afterward, but she would help me.  Somewhere in her was the spark of my parents.
“You didn’t answer my question,” I said.  “Why are you a jackal?”
“I don’t know.  The Powers just decide and they don’t answer if you question them.”
“The Powers?”  I looked around then looked up in the sky and said loudly, “Oh, you mean The Grand Assholes who won’t let me see my husbands?”
Sharp teeth dug into my  hand and pulled me down onto the forest floor then stood over me, protective and waiting.  When nothing happened, my sister turned to me, her eyes blazing.
“What is wrong with you?  Do you have any idea how dangerous that was?”
I looked at my hand, the holes in it, the blood seeping out.  Frowning, I said, “This isn’t going to get infected, is it?”
“Forget about your hand.  You can’t do that.”
“Do what?”
“Challenge The Powers like that.”
“What are they going to do?  Kill me?”
“Yes.  This is only one stage of many possible stages.  Our brother, Marc, challenged them, and now he’s gone and I don’t know where he went.”
“For now, but he’ll fight for his kids once they’re here.”
“Maybe.”
She let me stand up and we continued on our way.  The trees around us were deciduous, but not any sort I’d seen before.  There were thorny vines with large leaves scattered around.  They reminded me of blackberry brambles, but you couldn’t pay me to eat something out here without a breakdown of chemical composition first.  And, I wasn’t feeling very hungry yet.  It’s possible I wouldn’t need to eat.  Then again, I bled and felt pain.  My systems seemed to be working and they would need something to resupply them eventually.
“So it seems like this doesn’t really go along with any of the major religions of our world.  Is it just where the nonbelievers go?”
“No.  Theo and his wife are here.  He’s dealing with it as well as can be expected, but she’s not—which is no surprise.  She’s got him on some journey to find Jesus.  They’re traveling with a group of people like her.  I told him to leave her, but you know how henpecked our brothers are.”
I smiled a little.  “Can’t imagine who taught them that was normal.”
“Don’t blame everything on me because I’m the oldest.”
She glared at me then pushed forward.  I followed, no idea where we were going.  Then I had a thought.
“Wait.  You didn’t know Oz and Ezo were dead. How do you know where we’re going?”
“I don’t.  Not in that sense. I’m just going the way that feels right.” She looked at me. “You’re intending to find them?”
“Of course.  I have no intention of going through eternity without them. I plan to find them then, when our kids die, find them and so on.”
“And you think that will work?”
“I have no idea.  But, I know Ezo and Oz found each other and I know they’re looking for me.  That’s a start.”
“Are you sure they’re looking for you?”
“Well, I had a vision and I’ve never had a vision before.”  I waved my hand around. “I’m assuming The Bitches That Be provided it.”
She flinched and cast a wary eye upwards.  I started to tell her to not be so paranoid when I heard movement in the woods behind us.  She did, too, moving in a blur behind me, teeth bared with a low growl.  I looked up at the sky narrowly, shaking my head, then slowly turned as well.  A figure just a few inches taller than me wearing what looked to be great wizards robes in deep purples and blues stepped into our path.  He held a staff in his right hand, the fingers around it covered in ornate rings.  His left hand came up to push his large hood back and my jaw dropped.
“Felix?”
He gave me a big smile then looked down at our sister and his dark eyes grew wide when they landed on the fox around her.
“Why are you wearing Mom?”
Marianne avoided looking at me as she lowered her head.
“The Powers sent her to another plane.  I was freezing.  She told me to take her hide as she wasn’t using it any longer.  Grandma made a shawl for me.”
Felix started to argue with her, telling her she should have buried mom and that she was disgracing our mother by wearing her like a jacket.  I only half heard their exchange.  I was starting to get angry again.  Very angry.  I looked up at the sky.
“Who the hell do you think you are?  What did she do to offend your oh so sensitive sensibilities?  Did she try to find my dad?  Did she try to find her kids?  Did she get pissed at you for being a bunch of hiding behind the clouds assholes?  What was it Bitches That Be?  What was it?”
The ground started to give way beneath me as I spoke and I could hear my brother and sister yelling for me to shut up.  Felix jumped for me, but he was too late.  The ground opened up and I went in it.  But, I didn’t scream.  I was too pissed.  My anger was permeating every cell of my body.  I wasn’t going to give the Bitches any satisfaction.  I’d already died once.  Took the oomph out of it.  I’d given birth.  I could handle pain.  I didn’t care what they thought they would or could throw at me, I wasn’t going to take it.
I raised both my arms in the air, my hands in fists.  Slowly, I extended my middle fingers alone, aimed them upwards, and left them there as I fell.

No comments: